Friday 8 February 2013

El-Rufai weeps at controversial book launch

A former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, on Thursday wept at the launch of his controversial book, Accidental public servant, in Abuja, Nigeria.
El-Rufai, who said he could not believe a lot of top Nigerians would turn up at the book launch, wept as he made his speech at the occasion.
He said: “I never thought I could be so honoured.
“I am deeply touched and I do not really know what to say and how to say it, given the calibre of persons and the large number of people who have turned out today to witness the presentation my book.
“I was touched.
“The prayer by Pastor Sarah Omaku was very kind to me.
“I have never had any one speak about me in that manner.
“I just couldn’t handle it.
“I am sorry if I disappointed you.”
El-Rufai told the gathering that the purpose of putting the book together was to enable others who will go into government to understand the politics of governance in Nigeria.
He said: “My hope is that you people will elicit on some of the things we did in government that were right and many of the things that we did that were mistakes.
“I think that lessons are learnt when additional memories are protected when people learn from what works and what doesn’t work and personal mistakes and errors of leaders.
“That is how to build a nation.
“That is how future generations learn and this is why I wrote the book.
“I don’t think we should have the conspiracy of silence about how our government is being run.
“I think we should talk openly about it, celebrate what we did right and admit where we made mistakes and name names so that people will know that when you are in leadership position, history will judge you.
“That is what is my biggest motive here.”


No comments:

Post a Comment