Monday 25 March 2013

My kidnappers did not know me - NTA reporter

The kidnappers of a reporter of the Nigerian Television Authority, Akure, Ondo State, Olubunmi Oke, did not know who she was but only suspected she could be a big catch based on her car and dressing.
This was the position of Oke during an interview on Sunday.
Oke said she was still flashily dressed, as most television news casters do, when she was accosted by the kidnappers.
She said her abductors even asked her who she was and where she worked.
She said she was initially taken from Akure to Ondo town and then Ore before her abductors blindfolded her and she did not know where she was taken again.
She said she was initially told they were taking her to Delta State.
She however did not know where they eventually held her till Saturday evening when she was released.
Here is a full transcript of the interview by Oke: “I noticed a car following me at high speed.
“So I had to increase the speed with which I was driving and I rolled up my glass.
“Very close to Jojein (Hotel, Oba-Ile), the road was very bad.
“So I had to slow down to carefully manouvre the potholes.
“It was at that point that they leveled up with me and I was double-crossed.
“I asked them what my offence was.
“I even offered them my car keys but three of them, armed with guns, dragged me into their car.
“One of them got into my car and they were driving behind us.
“They drove through Owode to FUTA (Federal University of Technology, Akure) and to Ondo.
“They told me they were taking me to Delta State but when we got to Ore, they covered my eyes.
“They blindfolded me from Thursday night till Saturday night when I was released.
“So it was impossible for me to know where I was.
“My housemaid and baby were in the car with me.
“They dropped them on the road before driving my car away.
“They later got home in a public transport.
“I learnt they later dropped my car at Igbara-Oke.
“At present, the car is with SARS (Special Anti-Robbery Squad).
“When I was released on Saturday, they gave me my car keys.
“I hope to get the car during the week.
“Nobody sent them to me.
“It was a case of random kidnapping.
“I just walked into their hands.
“I do not want to believe anyone sent them to me because when they got me, they were asking me series of questions” ‘Where do you work?’ ‘Who are you?’
“I think that showed clearly that they did not know anything about me.
“I think the car I was driving, coupled with the way I was dressed (I read news that evening so I still had my clothes and jewelry on) made them think I was a good catch.
“The men of the SSS (Department of State Security Service) took charge of the situation.
“The SARS and God’s intervention were also there.
“So, we did not pay.
“Also, the fact that they got to know that I was a journalist and that the news was everywhere hastened my release.
“My experience in their hands was not palatable.
“For days, I could only drink water.”

No comments:

Post a Comment