Tuesday 9 December 2014

Governors behind my third term bid – Obasanjo

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Tuesday for the first time opened up on the third term agenda in the twilight of his two-term presidency, accusing some Peoples Democratic Party governors of being behind the third term project because they were going to benefit from it.
At the launch of his autobiography titled: “My Watch,” at the Lagos Country Club, Ikeja, Obasanjo denied seeking a third term but admitted he knew about it.
Obasanjo, who said he was not afraid of telling the truth, insisted that everything he wrote in the book was true.
According to him: “People say that it was obvious that I wanted a third term and I ask those who say I was behind the third term to bring concrete evidence to prove that I spearheaded it.
“I have presented evidence in my book that proves that I was not behind it, even though I knew about it.
“Some governors were the ones behind it because they felt the governors would benefit from it.
“If people say that it was obvious that I wanted a third term, they should present concrete evidence to the public that I am telling a lie.
“I have evidence to prove that everything I wrote is true and anyone that feels otherwise should present concrete evidence to prove his point.
“Third term was not my agenda or intention although I would not say I didn’t know about it.
“I didn’t mastermind third term.
“Those who were telling me to go on were the governors that were going to benefit from it.”
The former president also said he had no regrets in his involvement on how both late President Umaru Yar’Adua and Dr. Goodluck Jonathan became presidents saying: “I don’t regret bringing in Yar’Adua and Jonathan.
“If they don’t do well, those coming from behind should learn from me and do better.”
Obasanjo added that he was not infallible and people should learn from his action.
He also said that he had sought avenues to ventilate his observations and positions with President Jonathan but had to resort to writing open letters to him because his efforts were frustrated.
He also commented on the injunction restraining him from publishing his autobiography.
He said: “I had given the book to my editors and to the publisher.
“As far as I am concerned, my job is done.
“I had written the book and printed before the court injunction.
“In a normal judiciary, the judge should be sanctioned and I hope something will be done.
“We are here legally and lawfully and we will continue to act lawfully and legally.”

1 comment: